from "The Last Patrol," The Atlantic (November 2010)
Over the course of "The Last Patrol," Brian Mockenhaupt's ten-page article on a platoon's last days in Afghanistan, more than one solider has a buddy blown up next to him. "All I know is, I'm sick of seeing people laying there without their legs," one man tells Mockenhaupt. "That shit's fucking with my head." The regular medic in the field, a man called Doc Taylor, has had a constant, trembling twitch in his right arm since the first IED. Another soldier, on his first day back in the Arghandab valley after struggling to fight off a mental and emotional breakdown, watches as his squad leader is blown up in the road.
Six months ago, I would not have read this article. Until very recently, in fact, I have been extremely successful at avoiding all intellectual and emotional engagement with wars past and present. It is shamefully easy to be a great success at this task. I could blame the usual suspects for this--the so-called mainstream media is a popular choice these days--but let's be real, folks. I didn't want to read or think or feel anything about war. This is morally irresponsible of me, to put it lightly. 19,629 people (troops, civilians, contractors, journalists) have died in Afghanistan and 48,644 have been injured. In Iraq, 900,338 people have been killed, and 1,690,903 people have been injured. The U.S. government is estimated to spend between $808,000,000,000 and $1,030,000,000,000 in 2010 on the Department of Defense and other war-associated costs. Millions of people and trillions of dollars, and I feel vaguely uncomfortable and largely ignorant about it. VAGUELY UNCOMFORTABLE AND LARGELY IGNORANT IS NOT AN APPROPRIATE REACTION TO THIS SITUATION, PEOPLE.
But it begs the question: what is? I don't know, and that's why I'm writing this blog. I'll be reading, watching and listening to representations of war and its costs, and reviewing and responding to them here. My goal is to build both a wartime consciousness (What is it? What does it cost? What benefits, if any, does war bring? Why does it happen?) and conscience (Is war ever worth it? Under what circumstances? What are the alternatives? What responsibilities does the state have towards soldiers and veterans? Do civilians have any responsibilities to them as well?).
I plan to post an initial reading/listening/watching list in the next few days, but in the meantime, I'd love to hear your feedback. What questions do you have about war? What books, movies, music or articles speak to those questions? Want to be a guest blogger? Share in the comments!
I plan to post an initial reading/listening/watching list in the next few days, but in the meantime, I'd love to hear your feedback. What questions do you have about war? What books, movies, music or articles speak to those questions? Want to be a guest blogger? Share in the comments!
Emma,
ReplyDeleteI am so excited about this blog! "wartime consciousness" is a great way to put it. I have been trying to develop something like this myself since about junior year of college, with varying degrees of success. Though I am proud of the reading I've done on both the wars, I am somewhat ashamed that I was not and have not been active in protests for either. Though I'm a little bit more than largely ignorant, I am still vaguely uncomfortable...and I agree with you that this is not enough. As a member of the educated elite, I have a responsibility not to look the other way as members of my generation die overseas.
I'll post my thoughts on readings sometime soon, but for now I just wanted to register my enthusiasm for this very important project.
Claire
So cool, forreal. The numbers you include are a really powerful context from which to consider the wars - in terms of the money, I hardly ever see numbers with so many digits.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to include a link to this project, which I heard about on the radio on Veterans Day last week: http://www.veteransbookproject.com/. I havent actually taken the time to look closely through any of the books yet (which seem to be downloadable from the website), but the project seems really amazing. I am interested in some of the questions it seems it could address like how do soldiers who have fought in war live on carrying those experiences when they are no longer in the midst of war? what is so crucial about being able to communicate these experiences to people who dont have the direct experience of war? what are the effects of these communications on our commitments to or critiques of war?
excited to see what comes....
V and C,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your thoughtful comments. V, I will definitely look at that link and include it in the reading/watching list. C, I'm looking forward to your suggestions for other readings!
I would love for both of you to write posts, if you are interested!
Thanks again for your interest and support. So excited to have this conversation with you!
Love
E
My favorite book I've read on the war is called The Forever War, by NYT Iraq/Afghanistan correspondent Dexter Filkins. Filkins goes into incredible detail on his experience embedded with the troops, critically analyzing his position as reporter/participant and insider/outsider while managing to not make the book "about him." In my freshman comp class we read the introduction as a way of talking about image and descriptive detail. The reading prompted many students to share their connections to the war--one had plans to join the Marines, others had family members fighting, etc.
ReplyDeleteI WILL GUEST BLOG! WHAT SHOULD I GUEST BLOG ABOUT?
ReplyDeleteHi Claire! Thanks for the reading suggestion, I will definitely add it. In terms of guest blogging, I had a couple ideas. One was that I could make a list of interested guest bloggers and circulate email prompts every so often. The other was that you could feel free to review/respond to war-related cultural works on whatever timeline works for you. Let me know which you would prefer!
ReplyDelete